Tuesday 16 February 2010

East Anglian Air Ambulance

Today, I cycled to one of my current regular cafe stops - Rosie's in the little village of Southill, Bedfordshire (Map).

While chatting to the proprietor, as I usually do, she mentioned that her husband was involved in fund raising for the East Anglian Air Ambulance, which services the English counties of Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. She also kindly gave me a lapel badge. Thanks!

Bedfordshire Appeal Lapel Badge for the EAAA

Although I hope I never need to be a 'passenger' in an air ambulance, I'm perhaps grateful that a helicopter and medics are on stand-by to assist with any mess, if the unthinkable happens and maybe, just maybe, the extra rapid transit to hospital could make the difference...

Most, if not all, air ambulances in England and Wales are kept airborne entirely through fund raising efforts and charitable donations. I don't believe there is any government funding or assistance for this special emergency service. (The Scottish parliament does fund the Scottish Air Ambulance service directly, though).

Perhaps if you've got a charitably funded air ambulance covering YOUR area (list of UK air ambulances) and you haven't thought about this before (as I hadn't), you might consider making a donation or helping in fund raising in some way?

I should mention the Herts Air Ambulance and Thames Valley and Chiltern Air Ambulance, which also service areas where I regulary cycle.

No comments: