Saturday 21 August 2010

Tailwind to Rivière-du-Loup

19th August: L'Islet-sur-mer to Rivière-du-Loup

Odometer: 109 km, Start: 8.45am, Finish: 3.30pm, Avg: 23.4 km/h,
Weather: Sunny, Temp: 15-23°C
Road Conditions: #138, 1.5m paved shoulder most of the time, some stretches in the middle without a shoulder, very light traffic, though. Plenty of stops. Ascent: 325m/300m.

I was surprised to still see the wind blowing strongly when I broke camp this morning. The forecast last night said the SW wind that has been pushing me all the way from Montreal was to die out. Not that I’m complaining about my continuing good fortune.

IMG_4434
Church and Quebec farmland
IMG_4433
Church spires and pink roof, Saint-Jean-Port-Joli

It was my last day following the St. Lawrence, so I needed to savour the final views of the river before I turn inland. It wasn’t quite as picturesque as yesterday because the far shore was now quite a few kilometres away and it was also a little hazy in the morning. There were some better spots in the afternoon.

IMG_4439
St. Lawrence at Rivière-Ouelle
IMG_4448
St. Lawrence at Kamouraska

With the strong tailwind and a flat road, I had very fast riding conditions (again). I just hopped from town to town, stopping at a few cafes and any viewpoints along the way. My favourite cafe of the day was the last one, Café de la Vieille École in Saint-André. It was a very nice building in which to have crepes and a juice.

IMG_4450
Nice cafe at Saint-André

My motel room in Rivière-du-Loup overlooks the St. Lawrence, so I get a last look tomorrow morning before climbing out of the city, taking another Route Verte cycle-path, number 8 this time, towards New Brunswick.

IMG_4444
Bright red roofed house (one of quite a few seen today) in landscape

If the forecast is to be believed the wind is swinging around to the NW overnight. That’s the ideal direction for me again! Am I blessed or something?

1 comment:

Martina said...

"Blessed" - pushing it a little, haha.

Glad you are still having a great time.
Mx