Sunday 13 June 2010

Hills, Lakes, Rivers and a Bear

11th June: Port Alberni to Ucluelet 

Odometer: 105 km, Start: 8.00am, Finish: 3.30pm, Avg: 18.5 km/h,
Weather: Cool and cloudy, windy PM, Temp: 12-17°C, Bear count: 1
Road Conditions: Good surface on very hilly #4, but shoulder (2m) had (worn) rumble strips for a lot of the 90 km to Ucluelet / Tofino junction. No services for 85km from West Bay Hotel, 15km after Port Alberni.

Legs were OK when I rolled off gently this morning. I knew it was going to be a tough day. Only the second day in and I’m on a 100 km rollercoaster to the Pacific!

A further feature was the 90 km stretch without any services. I had to stock up at the gas station 8km after Port Alberni. I also had breakfast here – a pizza!

IMG_2685
Cheers. Pizza and tea for breakfast.

Landscape didn’t vary at all during the day. The entire ride was through forested hills punctuated by lakes and fast flowing rivers. Yellow Gorse was much in evidence too and helped to brighten the rather dull and misty weather. Along with the many exposed granite faces, the terrain reminded me a lot of Mid Wales.

IMG_2686
Typical scenery today

I was getting tired as I was approaching the Pacific, but I woke up all of a sudden when I met a Black Bear at very close quarters! It was about 4m from me in the road ditch when I passed it and it spooked and ran back into the undergrowth! It was quite a large one as well!

IMG_2704
Road scenery today

Decided to head to Ucluelet instead of Tofino as it was a bit closer. It turned out to be a good choice. A nice little town. My campsite overlooks the harbour and there are plenty of shops and eating places, including a large ship that’s been turned into a hotel / restaurant. I’ve already had one meal, but I’m going back to the Canada Princess for another one soon :).

IMG_2717
Ucluelet Harbour photo taken at my tent pitch
IMG_2714
Canada Princess, a floating restaurant

Oh, and I dipped my wheel in the Pacific which was the whole point of this rather hilly side-trip!

IMG_2707
Pacific Ocean
IMG_2708
Rear wheel duly dipped

No comments: