Monday 21 June 2010

On to the plateau

18th June: Clinton to Lac le Hache

Odometer: 115 km, Start: 8.30am, Finish: 4.30pm, Avg: 18.8 km/h,
Weather: Sunny, Temp: 15-22°C
Bear count: 3, Mosquito Bites: 1, Hills walked: 0
Road Conditions: #97, good surface and 2m shoulder until 83 Mile House. Then shoulder was rubbish - gravel and v. bumpy. Reasonable shoulder again after 108 Mile Ranch. Traffic light am, moderate pm. Only service before 100 Mile House is at 70 Mile House.

Continued along the #97 all day today. After leaving Clinton I climbed onto a plateau of sparse pine scrub and pasture land at around 1100-1200m altitude. It was certainly a flatter ride than previous days, although I had a nagging headwind to contend with for most of the day. There were many ranches along the roadside with lots of horses grazing in the fields.

IMG_2857
I'm going through all of those!
IMG_2861
Pine scrub scenery

The only services in the morning were at 70 Mile House where I had some pancakes and had a BLT made up to take out for later. I spoke to the owner for a few minutes as I was the only customer (I suspect all morning). As per usual, she said that she had British ancestry. It seems that every Canadian I meet has some relatives from the Old Country!

IMG_2858
The pancake portion was a bit stingy this morning!
IMG_2859
Only service all morning

I made it to 100 Mile House, the largest town today, by early afternoon. It was too early to stop, so after getting some groceries I went on to Lac le Hache where I’m camping in the Provincial Park this evening. It’s a bit of a primitive site with no showers! Not ideal after you’ve just cycled in warm weather for 8 hours…

IMG_2865
Campsite tonight
IMG_2860
Hope that's not for me...

No comments: